This salad is the perfect take- to- work lunch. Serve it warm or cold over a bed of arugula or spinach for a hearty protein packed lunch. Lentils are rich in fiber, and contain significant amounts of folate, iron and magnesium, making them a fabulous source of energy. Make this in advance, as it will keep for a few days.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yields: 8 Servings
- 2 cups black or green lentils
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- finely chopped 2 sprigs thyme
- finely chopped 1 bay leaf
- 3 shallots peeled and thickly sliced
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the lentils in a large pot and cover with water to an inch above beans.
- Add parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes until lentils are tender, not mushy.
- While the lentils are simmering, combine the ingredients for dressing and whisk briskly.
- Drain water.
- Add dressing to lentils and serve warm over arugula or spinach.